Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds

Confusedly blindfolded. (Is justice really for the wealthy only?)

Wednesday, December 15, 2010
On December 14 2010, majority of the people in the nation sympathized to Lauro Vizconde while others leaped for joy as the Supreme Court acquitted Hubert Webb and his co-accused for the murder of Estrellita, Jennifer, and Carmela Vizconde (who was raped before stabbed to death) in their Paranaque Home back in June 30, 1991.
Confused. The massacre which spurred the media’s attention took place in 1991 and I was still a lil’ girl that time (3 years old to be exact and all I cared was playing with my dolls and pretty much didn’t give a damn about the rest). But still, the whole SC decision sparked my interest do some more reading (duh, it is one of the most gruesome massacres in the Philippine history). The point is, watching and hearing the news just made me confused on which side I should be. For sure, I’m one of those people who sympathizes the lost of Mang Lauro but on the other side, thinking of the 15 years that were stolen from those men (if they really are innocent) was pretty much unfair too.

Blindfolded. Whenever I see that statue of justice (or whatever you call that thing), I wondered why that lady is blindfolded. Then someone told me that the blindfolding part tells us that in order for justice to be served, siding is a big no-no. Hence, people who bring justice should only look or focus on facts. But the way I see things, justice wasn’t really served on both sides. Worst is that the whole stuff made the people blindfolded from the real thing. I mean, the acquittal of those men brought a lot and I mean a lot of questions to the table like, if Webb and his co-accused are really innocent, who then are the real perpetrators? Where is Jessica Alfaro? (the star witness of the crime), Where’s the maid who did the laundry of Webb’s blood-stained shirt on the night the crime happened? Can justice really be served in this country? Is Alfaro’s testimony really true or was it just one of the results of drugs? These questions can be a basis on how inconsistent our justice system is and it’s sad to know that the SC decision made the public think that the justice system in the country is whack.


Bottom line is, things must be cleared up. I mean, it is DIFFICULT and considering the new set of things that the whole system could face (e.g. double jeopardy) but then again, a reinvestigation of the case will be helpful. This could clear up the system’s image and will surely give peace of mind to both sides (accused and accuser) instead of being confused and blinded from the truth for the rest of their lives. Think about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment